Sagat, King of Muay Thai





 More street fighter work! This is based off of an old acrylic painting I did at the bottom of this post. Sagat has always been really kickass and a real pain to fight against as Dhalsim. For such a tough guy he sure uses his projectiles to do a lot of his fighting!

I feel like I learn something new every painting. For this one I really wanted to simplify my values and create greater contrast between my light and shadow. I ended up with some rim lighting which is something I've never done before, although I attempted it in my original acrylic. I also tried to use more saturated colors as a common critique I get is that my paintings look washed out.

Looking back, the FF9 piece with Steiner and Beatrix was a nice idea for a picture but I don't think I executed it well. Something I learned was that I'm relying on lines too much when instead I needed to simplify and clarify my values. In addition, I think it is okay to use lines, but on that FF9 piece the lines stand out too much, and not just because of my weak line steadiness when working in photoshop. They are much darker than the darkest shadow, and really distract from the work.

TL;DR
Overall I really have learned a lot and I tried to use the following in the Sagat piece:
                     Simplify values
                    Background
                    No linework (although I guess the rimlight is a bit cheating)
                     Stronger colors: less washed out

Acrylic Original
Done for a highschool project when I was 18, I am now 22.

Thank you for viewing and feel free to leave any comments, questions or critiques!

No comments:

Post a Comment