Portraits and Puppies!

A bunch of things to post! I developed an addiction to having twitch.tv streams playing in the background while I was drawing and began to follow the streamer CobaltStreak(http://www.twitch.tv/cobaltstreak). So I ended up doodling some pictures of him. I ended up painting it in photoshop and sending it to him. He uses it on his stream quite frequently! Awesome! Thanks Cobalt.


This piece took a long while to make as there are so many characters, but I had a lot of fun trying to pose them and really try and show off some character personalities. Although looking at it now, I can see some lack of contrast, it is still an improvement on my previous more washed out paintings.

After this I had some time away from the digital realm doing some life drawing classes and more studies, but returned to photohop to practice both my painting and portrait skills.
These are posted in order of completion, and I think I can already see some improvement. I specifically tried to use shots where there is a clear light and dark.



The first portrait I really learned how the value changes in the shadow area are very subtle even though when observing them, they are very obvious. In addition, how great the contrast can really be with direct light.

The second portrait really allowed me to understand the use of greys to produce the appearance of a contrasting color. In this case the greys appear blue because they are surrounded by the orange hues in the face. Using the greys in the light side of the face helped to enforce the fact that there was a window to the right of the picture, where the blue light shone in.

This last portrait of my dog turned out very successfully and although I have gotten many comments on the realism of the muzzle, I really liked how I was able to capture the fur in the shadow side on the right. I really wanted to show the layers and was happy with the chance to vary the color aswell. I colored this piece by beginning with painting in local hues and then, using 4 or 5 different burshes, worked in some texture. I had different brushes for short hair as seen in the snout, and for the longer hair around the neck.

I'll be continuing to do some portraits, so if you liked these, be sure to check back! I'll also be starting up some pieces to try and sell and Anime North! Feel free to comment!

-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment